Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Catching Paper Butterflies

Living in an apartment means I have to maximise our outside time every day. We go on all sorts of adventures but the park is a favourite place as we can try out so many activities. I was inspired after seeing this tree on Be a Fun Mum to create something pretty but temporary for the girls to enjoy, so last night I cut out some paper butterflies, armed Bubble with her butterfly net and off we went to enjoy the sunshine today.

WE USED:

* coloured paper
* scissors
* needle
* cotton
* sticky tape
* butterfly net
* trees!

Butterflies cut from coloured paper.

Cotton, needle and tape to hang our butterflies in the trees.

I threaded two to a thread so they would be weighted and 'flutter' in the breeze.

I taped them to the tree branches quite loosely so they would come free when Bubble caught them in her net. I made the thread the right length so the butterflies were about at her height or net height.

The photos aren't too great, but they looked beautiful! The girls were mesmerised watching the trees full of butterflies fluttering around. There was just the right amount of wind to lift and twirl them, just like the real thing :-)




Bubble catching butterflies in her net.

She had so much fun and it was great for her co-ordination and gross motor skills.

Caught one :-)



Squeak exploring the grass in between butterfly watching.

Because of the breeze Bubble really had to work hard to catch her butterflies.

She even climbed a few trees :-D

This is the only photo I have of Squeak catching the butterflies, it was tricky holding her up and wrangling the camera at the same time :-)

It was a magical way to spend a day in the sunshine with my girls, we'll certainly be doing some paper butterfly catching again sometime soon.

“Come play at the Childhood 101 We Play link up”

We Play



7 comments:

  1. Caz-
    What a GREAT & fun activity! 1st time here on your blog - found you from we play. I am now following you - can't wait to read more posts! I invite you to come visit my blog too. I homeschool my 5,3 & 1 year old :) Nice to meet you!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole, wonderful to meet you too :-)Thankyou for your kind words, looking forward to heading over to have a read of your Blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks like so much fun - for me, too! I can't wait to try this, thanks!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! What a wonderful idea and a pretty one too!
    -Kara
    http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute-- looks like it was a fun afternoon!

    ReplyDelete