Thursday, January 6, 2011

Whiteboard Reveal Activity - The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Using the same concept as our Whiteboard Reveal activity we made a story board game to go with my girls favourite story 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle. It was quick and easy to make and we can use it over and over again - perfect for a rainy day like today!

WE USED:

* paper
* markers/textas/pencils
* laminator
* whiteboard markers
* eraser/cloth
* old cloth glove
* felt
* glue

Instead of using an eraser I made the girls a 'hungry little caterpillar' of their own using a glove we got for free in the paper recently. I just cut ovals from felt and glued them along the pointer finger using craft fabric glue. Bubble used the glove caterpillar to rub out each food as we went.

I drew two storyboards and laminated them - one for the start of the story where the caterpillar hatches from his egg and the other for the end when he becomes a beautiful butterfly.

Using a whiteboard marker I coloured over the top of the laminated caterpillar card as though he was inside his egg.

While we read the story book Bubble rubbed away the egg to reveal The Very Hungry Caterpillar :-)

We used a blank laminated sheet to draw our other foods as the story went along.

Bubble loved using her caterpillar to 'eat' each one.


Some of the food the Hungry Caterpillar ate in the story. As we re read the book a few times we added our own foods - in one version he ate a tip truck and a dinosaur bone! :-D


I coloured over the butterfly card to create the cocoon for the end of the story. Bubble was really excited rubbing it away to see the butterfly underneath!

9 comments:

  1. I just love this book! The glove is a terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower from the blog hops I'd love a follow back @ http://myadventures-in-mommyland.blogspot.com/

    I'm so excited to have found your blog what great ideas I can't wait to try some out with my little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Deborah! Isn't it a great story, we just adore it in this house it's been Bubble's favourite since she was about 18 months old and Squeak enjoys it too now. I think the only book ranking slightly higher at the moment is Schnitzel Von Krumm's Basketwork!

    Thankyou M and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment :-) Off to check out your Blog also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sharing this again on Facebook tonight! We are celebrating Eric Carle and this is one of my favoritie old posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Deborah, its one of mine too! The girls still like to play this instead of a bedtime story sometimes, I think I'll have to make some more adaptations of their favourite books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute idea and so sweet of you to share it! My children loved this book when they were little and now my grandchildren do, too-- I am looking forward to presenting the little ones with an activity set like the one you invented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so creative! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. will definitely use this in my pre-k classroom this year-love it! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete