Saturday, August 20, 2011

Laundry Day Sock Sorting

This game is very simple and is one Squeak and I play every time I bring in a load of dry washing. It's a great way of keeping her occupied while I put the clothes away, teaches her the concept of same and different and develops her colour and matching skills. She also loves helping and having a job to do!

Other simple laundry 'games':

* folding items such as tea towels, face washers and pillowcases.
* helping to sort each family members clothes into separate baskets or piles.
* helping to put folded items away.
* handing you each item from the basket and labelling it's colour or what it is used for.
* counting how many of each item there are (how many jumpers? How many socks?)

WE USED:

* loose socks from the laundry basket

Spread one of each sock out on the floor making a stack with the matching socks. We always use a small rug in Bubble's room for this activity to give Squeak a visual boundary.

Your child can then find the pairs by taking socks from the stack and matching them with the ones on the floor.

We usually chat as she plays so we can practice descriptive language such as colours, patterns, characters and who each pair belongs to.

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I love that you've found a way to have your daughter help you and learn new concepts at the same time! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for featuring our post Deb, I'm a 'liker' of your FB page and was delighted to see it come up in my newsfeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, as I found your blog very inspiring I decided to leave you One Lovely Blog Award on my blog http://skaczacwkaluzach.blogspot.com/
    Thank you for sharing your great ideas
    magda(c)

    ReplyDelete