Sunday, October 9, 2011

Out Of Date Food Play

Every few months I sort through our pantry and collect all of the out of date dry foods to store in a big box in the laundry. I also keep an eye out at the supermarket and discount stores for clearance items that are 'close to expiry'.
Out of date food like flour, oats, spices etc... are great for some fun sensory play without being wasteful, our girls love to 'cook' their own creations using real ingredients. Most things can be reused and stored in containers for another time and anything that ends up on the ground is easily cleaned up.
We pulled out some of our stash for a play yesterday while the rain held off, the girls had a ball and so did the local bird life once they spotted the piles of oats!



It's Playtime at hands on : as we grow

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I always let my children play with food but i never thought to use the out of date stuff and I do always feel a little bit guilty about the waste. Perfect solution! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I have never done this and am I always finding stuff in the back of the pantry. Love your site and have added you to my blogroll of Blogs I Love on Mess For Less. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fifth Street Mama - thankyou :-)

    ecoMILF - I know what you mean, I felt the same way about using real food, it's such a great tactile experience though isn't it. I couldn't believe how much I found in my pantry after cleaning it out, bit embarrassing actually! :-D

    Vicky - thankyou for your lovely comment and also for adding us to your Blogroll!

    ReplyDelete