Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Animal Spotlight

Since the success of our Sight Word Spotlight game a while ago I've been meaning to use the concept for different activities for the girls to enjoy.
I remember when I was younger and growing up on a farm one of the most exciting things we used to do was go spotlighting for animals through the paddocks and bush at night. Since we have neither a farm or animals I thought I'd try and replicate the excitement of finding animals in the dark using photos and torches.

WE USED:

* animal pictures
(I used Google but you could also use pages from an old calendar, photos or pictures cut from magazines)
* blutac
* torch

Using blutac I covered the girls bedroom walls and ceiling in animal pictures. You don't need to use so many (we ended up with 32) I just got a bit carried away!
You could even extend the learning by clustering animals from the same continent or habitats.

Turn out the lights and turn on the torches and get hunting!
The girls were SO excited spotting different animals in the dark, they particularly enjoyed the ones on the ceiling.
We also played a game where I made different animal sounds and they had to find the corresponding animal with their torches.




We Play



9 comments:

  1. You have the greatest ideas. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind is racing with the possibilities for this concept...can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've done a version of this as well - and its was a favorite! In the dark, I'd tell Henry to 'Shine the light on ...." whether it be a letter H, or the clock, or something blue. It was a fun I Spy in the Dark.

    Thanks for sharing on It's Playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to do this! My little boy loves to play with a flash light. GREAT GREAT idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know my boy will just adore this activity. Now to get some printer ink so I can print out some photos. I am so looking forward to doing this with him.

    Thanks for the great idea. Popping over from It's Playtime. This is my first time here but I will definitely be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wish I had seen this when my boys were younger - they would have loved to play. Torches are a great "must have" resource for playful learning - so much you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea! I've just stumbled onto your blog. I'm in a similar situation - one little monkey, tiny apartment! We also live in PNG with very very few places we can go outside due to security risks. Stuff like this is pure gold. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I have a bunch of old zoo magazines that will go to good use now. You are featured on It's Playtime this week. Thanks for playing with us. Don't forget to stop by and grab a "featured" button!

    Rachele @ Messy Kids

    ReplyDelete