Thursday, January 26, 2012

Drawer Knob Cupcakes

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I love refinishing furniture. I love sanding and painting and varnishing, and as a result the girls craft box contains some interesting items. A few months ago I bought a big bag of wooden drawer knobs when I was redoing a desk for Bubble's room and the girls have been using them everyday in all sorts of ways.
Mushrooms for their fairy dolls to sit on.
Stuck onto boxes with blutac to make pretend ovens.
Moon craters for their astronauts to jump across.
Spinning tops.
I've been amazed by the creative uses they have found for them!
Yesterday we combined some of them with a recycled mini muffin tray and made some up cycled painted cupcakes for the play kitchen.

WE USED:

* Wooden drawer knobs
(we bought ours very cheaply by the bag on Ebay)
* Paint
* Blutac/sticky tac

optional:

* Recycled mini muffin or cupcake packaging
* Plasticine
* Straws
* Scissors
* Buttons, beads and small embellishments

To make the drawer knobs easier to paint we stuck them onto some scrap cardboard using blutac.

The girls then painted them in cupcake 'flavours'. They made chocolate, vanilla and some with chocolate chips in them as well.
There was lots of imaginary play at this stage with the girls pretending they were adding things as though they were making real cakes.

The painted 'cupcakes' fit perfectly into a mini muffin tray we had in the recycling craft box. Mini patty pans part filled with play dough or plasticine would work well too.

The girls decided to make some icing for their cupcakes using plasticine.

And then decorated them using buttons and beads. They looked so cute!


Bubble wanted some candles for the cakes so we could have a pretend 'birthday tea party', so we made some by cutting drinking straws into short lengths and then making flames from yellow plasticine.

Best of all these can be used over and over again and be decorated in all sorts of ways.

Happy Imaginary Birthday to you!



12 comments:

  1. OK I really love this - so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly cute. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable idea!! I especially love the idea of pairing the cupcakes with play dough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is such a neat idea! I love the way they look and love all the different ways to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, I can't wait to try this with my little one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! I actually just made kits for two little girls birthdays with everything they need to make these! (Left info giving credit to your blog of course!) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful idea Cheryl! I hope they enjoy their kits, what a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing these beautiful creations! I actually just finished making two cute "Play cupcake making kits" for two little girls as a birthday gifts! (I gave credit to your blog, so they can look it up!) Thanks so much for sharing!

    (I couldn't figure out how to post the pic of the kit, so follow the link to my tumbler to see what they look like)
    http://mommacheryl.tumblr.com/
    (it should post in he morning)
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete